Re: [Semi-OT] Incredibly useful Firefox addon: Hyperwords

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 13:57:35 -0500 (EST), Ed Jabbour wrote:

> Ahh, the vagaries of machine translation.  I took the word "other" in the
> phrase "other top stories" and ran it from English to Arabic to Chinese to
> English.  I got "detention top stories".

That reminds me of a story in which a phrase from the bible:

   The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

was translated by computer from English to some other language and then
back again.  The result was:

   The wine is good, but the meat is spoiled.

Computers may translate more quickly than humans, but not necessarily
more accurately.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :