Re: need help with xorg.conf

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 01:11:14PM -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
[...]
OK, we learn a lot from the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.

Your Integrated graphics card is

(--) PCI:*(0:1:0:0) 5333:8d04:1462:3908 S3 Inc. VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266] rev 0, Mem @ 0xe1000000/524288, 0xd8000000/134217728, BIOS @ 0x????????/65536
I thought at first that the stuff within parentheses might be the chipset.
But I found out later that I was wrong.  We'll see why in a minute.
X chose the "savage" driver.  It lists the chipsets which it supports.

(II) SAVAGE: driver (version 2.3.1) for S3 Savage chipsets: Savage4,
	Savage3D, Savage3D-MV, Savage2000, Savage/MX-MV, Savage/MX,
	Savage/IX-MV, Savage/IX, ProSavage PM133, ProSavage KM133,

[... snip a lot of great stuff...]

After tossing out all the modes that aren't supported by the video BIOS,
or that won't work for some other reason, it decides to reduce the virtual
screen size.

(--) SAVAGE(0): Virtual size is 1024x768 (pitch 1024)
And things are all downhill from there.

The bottom line: the problem is not with your monitor.  The problem is that
the savage driver wants to use the video BIOS to set the video mode.

The single most important thing you must have in any xorg.conf file is

   Option  "UseBIOS"   "off"

This goes in the "Device" section.  If you need more help, let me know,
and I'll try to come up with a specific xorg.conf file for you.

I just wanted to say this is just a fantastic explanation of the log
file. nice job.

+1 X 10

Wayne