Re: question about fstab in squeeze and uuid

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:27:55 -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:

(...)

> I'm looking for reliable information on how UUIDs are generated, and how
> their uses is intended within Squeeze, so that I can puzzle out what I
> might be doing wrong.

There a FAQ about UUID here. While focused on Linux Mint, I think pretty
much fits for Debian, also:

***
UUID - what is it and why is it a problem
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/UUID_-what_is_it_and_why_is_it_a_problem
***

In brief, it seems that chanching/resizing/formatting partitions can lead
into UUID being modified. If that's true, it seems scaring :-/

There are other options we can use to identify/mount our devices, say
"label, "id" and "path" (ls -l /dev/disk/*). For instance, last time I
used openSUSE was using "by-id" method in /etc/fstab.

Maybe there is a good comparison chart about all these methods that list
their "pros" and "cons" :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón