Re: need help with xorg.conf

On 03/12/10 07:42, Paul E Condon wrote:
I have a cheap flat screen monitor on one of my computers. I works
nicely, but not perfectly with Lenny. But in a much inferior way when
I switch to Squeeze.

In particular:

The screen is 1366x768 according to the user manual that came with it.
Under Lenny, X chooses to run it at 1280x768 which is OK, but
Under Squeeze, X chooses 1024x768 which makes things that should be
circle into broad elipses. And wastes a lot of the resolution on
over-size characters.

I would like to try composing some configuration lines and inserting
them in a conf file, xorg.conf, I think, but I'm not sure.

Some quidance would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Paul,

As of my experience the automatic configuration did not work so I manually configured the resolution following these steps (----NOTEs : change the values to suit your hardware and be sure the video card supports the resolution and try to also follow xorg.conf man page ---)

1 - I found the suggested monitor resolution (1920x1080@60Hz) in the User Manual

2 - I used the "gtf" utility to calculate a vesa compliant ModeLine, running at the command prompt the following:

	gtf 1920 1080 60

3 - I Inserted in xorg.conf (section Monitor) the ModeLine that I got in step 2 (naming it "1920x1080_60.00")

4 - I set up VertRefresh e HorizSync (section Monitor) according to the monitor specs

5 - I inserted in xorg.conf (section Screen, subsection Display) in the Modes option listing the already found "1920x1080_60.00" ModeLine

cheers