Re: qemu or qemu-kvm for kvm in squeeze

On 3/7/2010 9:58 PM, Mark Allums wrote:
On 3/4/2010 6:41 PM, Mark Allums wrote:
On 3/4/2010 4:49 PM, Martin Kraus wrote:
Hi. I have been wondering what is the difference between qemu and
qemu-kvm packages
for kvm virtualization. Manual page in qemu packages shows, that it
should be
able to work with kvm. Uncle google is silent about this.

thanks for clarification
mk

Earlier, I wrote what I think was a confusing reply to this.

There are quite a few types of virtualization:

o Emulation
o Full
o Paravirtualization
o Kernel
o Application
o Container
and quite a few more at least variations.

Hypervisor plus Hardware Abstraction Layer plus Monitor plus multiple
VMs is the current fashion for servers, and Xen will give you that. In
Xen terms, the monitor is the dom0, and the multiple VMs are the domU's.

o QEMU is emulation.
o Virtualbox is Full virtualization.
o QEMU+KVM is a funny beast, it is paravirtualization with kernel
virtualization, you need hardware CPU support for it
o kqemu is a kernel module accelerator with kernel virtualization, no
hardware support needed, but it gives poor speed.

QEMU more-or-less has KVM built into it since about version 0.10.

Wikipedia has a lot of articles about virtualization, so I would go
there for more.

Mark Allums

Go with Virtualbox unless you have some special need.

Oh, and Virtualbox was originally based on QEMU, and there is still a lot of QEMU code in it.