Re: small problem when installing a recompiled kernel

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 07:50:59 -0500 (EST), Lorenzo Bettini wrote:
> I compiled the kernel sources with ubuntu patches (2.6.31) following
> this guide
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile#AltBuildMethod and
> everything works fine (I also tried to install the kernel and run it).
> However, during the installation of the generated .deb package I get
> this error
> Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
> run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms
> run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/nvidia-common
> run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/nvidia-common exited with return code 20
> Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image- line 1186.
> dpkg: error processing linux-image- (--install):
>   subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
>   linux-image-
> note that the nvidia module is correctly built and works...
> am I doing something wrong?
> thanks in advance

Are you running Debian or Ubuntu?  This is a Debian forum.
If you're running Debian and want to compile a Debian kernel,
I might suggest http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm.
However, I have no experience with the nvidia proprietary drivers.
If you run into trouble with them, I can't help you.