Re: qtparted and kernel disagree about partitions

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 10:44 AM, David Goodenough
<david.goodenough@btconnect.com> wrote:
> I have a hard drive with a primary partition and an extended partiton.
> QTParted says that it has /dev/hda1, /dev/hda2 and /dev/hda5 which is
> what one would expect, but when I boot the disk the kernel reports
> that there are only the /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda2 partitons, no /dev/hda5.
>
> The really odd thing is that qtparted is running on the kernel which
> can not see /dev/hda5.
>
> The disk is question is a 2.5" 160GB drive, and is quite new.  The kernel
> log shows no errors.
>
> Any idea what might cause this and how to fix it (preferably without
> repartitioning the disk as backing it all up would take a while and also
> I do not know how I would access the data in /dev/hda5 if I can not see
> it).
>
> David

What version of Debian is this? What kernel version? Storage controller type?

I find it odd that your disks would be named hdx as modern libata
should emulate those drives as scsi.

--
Jordan Metzmeier