Re: Both Abiword and OpenOffice fail to read Word file.

On 03/03/10 16:46, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> I have a Word file that nither OpenOff ci nor Abiword seem to be able to
> read.
>
> AbiWord reports,
>
> AbiWord cannot open file:///farhome/hendrik/books/review-me/
> Book1PropertyoftheQueen.doc. It appears to be an invalid document
>
> OpenOffice says,
>
> General Error,
> General input/output error.
>
> (that's OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 OOO310m19 (Build:9420 and abiword 2.6.8,
> both installed from DEbian Squeeze repositories.)
>
> Any idea what I should do with this file besides copy it to a Windows
> machine?  I can't send it to the developers for copyright reasons (alas).

You can try to read it with the package 'wv':

 wvWare (previously known as mswordview) is a library that allows access
 to Microsoft Word files.  It can load and parse the Word 2000, Word 97,
 Word 95, and Word 6 file formats.  (Work is underway to support reading
 earlier formats as well: Word 2 documents are converted to plain text.)

It's text based, so no fancy GUI. ;)

> -- hendrik

Cya,
Christian