Re: Two Lenny problems

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 15:27 -0500, Tony Nelson wrote:
> On 10-03-03 02:21:22, Cecil Knutson wrote:
> > Tony,
> > >
> > > Modern kernels use SCSI emulation for ATA and are restricted to 16
> > > partitions per drive, so don't go wild here.  (LVM is not
> > > affected.)  The reduced limit has been a problem for some Fedora
> > > users.
> >
> > But the Dell has SATA, does that make a difference in the number of
> > partitions?
>
> Not at all.  PATA, SATA, and SCSI are all using SCSI commands, so SCSI
> emulation is now used by the kernel driver, limiting the number of
> partitions to 16.  This change comes from libata, and is in effect if
> your disks are named /dev/sdx rather than /dev/hdx.

It seems odd to me that what kind of disk/driver you use makes any
difference to the number of partitions you can have on it - I'd have
thought by the time you get to partitioning, you only care that it's a
block device.

Then again, I guess you can't partition a floppy at all, can you (well,
I think you can - I think I tried it once - but the naming doesn't cope,
so it's not much use), so maybe that argument is invalid.

I'd understand fully if scsi emulation stopped you having more than 15
drives per controller, of course, since that's likely to be an
addressing limitation carried over from the scsi bus.

Richard