Re: Both Abiword and OpenOffice fail to read Word file.

Hendrik Boom wrote:
I have a Word file that nither OpenOff ci nor Abiword seem to be able to read.

AbiWord reports,

AbiWord cannot open file:///farhome/hendrik/books/review-me/
Book1PropertyoftheQueen.doc. It appears to be an invalid document

OpenOffice says,

General Error,
General input/output error.

(that's OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 OOO310m19 (Build:9420 and abiword 2.6.8, both installed from DEbian Squeeze repositories.)

Any idea what I should do with this file besides copy it to a Windows machine? I can't send it to the developers for copyright reasons (alas).

-- hendrik

Definitely Word? Other programs have used the .doc ending, though the most popular would be WordPad, and I'd assume the usual two suspects would be able to deal with what is basically Rich Text.

I believe there's a fair chance that the strings command will extract the useful stuff. If not, there are free (legal) viewers for Word and Excel files that may run under Wine, I've never tried.

--
Joe