Re: ACPI problem on linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-amd64 powering off

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 04:50:07 -0500 (EST), campbell mcleay wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> Campbell Mcleay wrote:
>>>
>>> I am running 64-bit Debian Squeeze with kernel
>>> linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-vserver-amd64, and when
>>> I initiate a shutdown to halt/poweroff the system, either within a
>>> Gnome session or on the console,
>>> it reboots instead of powering off. I can see what looks like a kernel
>>> oops error message at the
>>> very end of the shutdown process, and then it reboots (it is too quick
>>> for me to see the exact error).
>>> My suspicion was that ACPI was the issue, so I disabled it at boot
>>> with 'acpi=off', and indeed it no longer
>>> reboots when I issue shutdown to halt it, but I lose hyperthreading
>>> and it won't power off at all.
>>
>> OK, first of all, there's obviously a bug somewhere.
>> But the machine not powering off is no big deal.  Once it halts you
>> simply turn it off.  But losing hyperthreading is obviously not good.
>>
>>> I have
>>> used Ubuntu 9.04 and 10.04 (which uses 2.6.32 kernel) to test the
>>> hardware as well, and these shut
>>> the machine down with no issue. I would use another linux-image
>>> package, but there seems to be only
>>> one for Squeeze (aside from a vserver image).
>>>
>>> Any suggestions on a way round this? I don't want to boot with
>>> 'acpi=off', as it won't shutdown and
>>> hyperthreading won't work.
>>
>> Well, you could try using APM instead of ACPI, if your BIOS supports it.
>> That might get you an automated power-off.  But probably not
>> hyperthreading.  Probably not worth it.
>>
>> But there are newer kernels in Sid that you can try, such as
>> linux-image-2.6.32-2-vserver-amd64 and linux-image-2.6.32-3-vserver-amd64.

You accidentally replied to me instead of the list.  I'm putting
this back on the list where it belongs.

> I used the 2.6.30 kernel available in Squeeze, and it works fine,
> except that it has no 'linux-headers' package
> which I need to compile the NVIDIA driver. I diffed the two configs
> (between 2.6.32 and 2.6.30) and there are a few extras in the ACPI
> section, which I am guessing is the cause of the issue.

The 2.6.30 kernel is no longer available in Squeeze.  Not from the
on-line mirrors, anyway.  You must have installed it from CD or
else you installed it before it was removed from the archive.
But I'm glad it worked for you.

> I might try a lenny backports kernel (I'll just install it with dpkg),
> and see if that works.

I don't recommend a lenny backports kernel if you're running Squeeze.

> My hope is that the next kernel version released in Squeeze will work
> ok. Though I guess that will rely on people reporting it as an issue,
> so I might try to report it to the dev mailing list (a highly daunting
> prospect!)

That's one of the reasons why I suggested Sid.  There are two kernel
versions already which are newer than the one you are having problems
with.  Why bother to report it if it's already fixed?  How will you
know if you don't try it?