SpamAssassin not following private whitelist commands

(Up-to-date Sid system.)

SA, which is "attached" to Postfix, isn't doing what I think it should do. According to instructions I found on the Intarweb, per-user whitelist addresses go in ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs with the format:
whitelist_from  foo@bar.com

(Yes, I restarted SA after adding the entries, and the machine has even been rebooted since then.)

However, whitelisted accounts are still being scored as spam. Any thoughts?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

I like my women like I like my coffee - purchased at above-market
rates from eco-friendly organic farming cooperatives in Latin America.