SpamAssassin not following private whitelist commands

Hi,

(Up-to-date Sid system.)

SA, which is "attached" to Postfix, isn't doing what I think it should do. According to instructions I found on the Intarweb, per-user whitelist addresses go in ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs with the format:
whitelist_from  foo@bar.com

(Yes, I restarted SA after adding the entries, and the machine has even been rebooted since then.)

However, whitelisted accounts are still being scored as spam. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

I like my women like I like my coffee - purchased at above-market
rates from eco-friendly organic farming cooperatives in Latin America.