Re: Two Lenny problems

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 20:31:38 -0500 (EST), John Hasler wrote:
> Cecil Knutson writes:
>> Debian Linux three (counting the Swap partition), any other partition
>> has to be an extended...
>
> The standard pc partition scheme allows either four primary partitions
> or three primaries and one extended.  This limitation is imposed by the
> scheme, not by Windows or Linux.  An extended partition can contain any
> number of logical partitions but Linux can only address a total of 63
> partitions.

I think what Cecil meant was that fdisk under Windows only allows one
primary partition to be created, although I am not in a position to
verify that; and because of the drive letter assignment scheme, a
maximum of 24 logical drives in an extended partition can be addressed
by Windows (C-Z), with A and B being reserved for floppy drives.
Linux fdisk (or cfdisk, or sfdisk, or GNU parted) can create up to
four primary partitions or three primary partitions and one extended
partition.