Re: Why doesn't iceweasel work with iceape - solution broke system (?)

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010, Bret Busby wrote:

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010, godo wrote:

In trying to configure iceweasel to do the same (iceweasel defaults to
opening evolution, which I understand to be much the same as microsoft
outlook), I open the iceweasel Edit -> Preferences -> Applications ->
mailto option, and it displays the options "Use Gmail", Use Yahoo!
Mail", "Always ask", and "Use other", which does not give access to
iceape mail composer.

Hi,
I just try than on Squeeze and it works, but trick is that when you browse "Use other" choose iceape (/usr/bin/iceape).

--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic

That seems to work.

Whilst it opens up an iceape browser window with the URL "mailto...", which then opens up an iceape mail compser window, it does work, if not directly.

I had previously tried to find iceape using the paths /bin and /sbin, but didn't find it there; the required path was, as you have indicated - /usr/bin/iceape.

Thank you for that.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

Unfortunately, after doing that, and opening iceweasel browser windows, saving bookmark sets ("Bookmark all tabs" in window), then closing windows, when I got down to three open windows, iceweasel froze, and then I did a Lock Screen, but I could not restore the login session, and now the computer will not boot into Debian - it seems that the change to iceweasel, broke the Debian installation.

I get hard drive errors, then a final error something like "No processes running", and the system hangs.

I do not know how to access the error messages log file, from outside the operating system; from Ubuntu,
"ls: cannot access /dev/sda5/var: Not a directory"

I have booted into Ubuntu, and ran fsck on the partition, and it shows as clean, reagrdless opf the inode errors and processes loading too fast, that show in the last screen of the boot messages that are displayed on the screen.

But, the installation of Debian now seems to be destroyed.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."