Re: Best Video Capture Device for Debian?

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 12:49:07PM +1300, Richard Hector wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 08:08 -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > I purchased a Canon DC410 camcorder and recorded on several mini cd's
> > during a trip to Europe.  Most of the mini cd's I can mount and edit the
> > foo.vob files with avidemux.  Mount fails for one of the mini cd's and
> > my dvd player can't read it either but the camcorder can still play back
> > the recordings.  I don't want to lose these shots.  The camcorder has
> > composite output so I need to purchase a video capture card which will
> > work with my Debian Squeeze 64 bit system.
> >
> > Any recommendations or experience with this problem?
>
> I realise I'm a bit late ... but this camera also seems to have an SD
> card slot? Can you copy the video from the DVD to the card and get it
> off that way?
>
> Richard

No such luck - the SD card is for photos.

I did ultimately solve my problem though not as I would have liked to
solve it.  I had purchased a Kworld DVD Maker USB2.0 which my Debian
Squeeze system immediately recognized as /dev/video0.  However none of
the capture programs would work with it.  The device came with Window
software so I booted the system in XP Professional loaded the software.
Windoze did not recognize the Kworld device.  The software found a
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1250 card which I had installed to watch tv with
MythTV and wanted to record cable tv programs.  The software also had an
option for recording from cd's so I took the mini cd out of the camera,
put it in the dvd drive and tried to record from it.  The software could
not read the cd but offered to go on line and find a codec for the file
on the cd.  I told it to try and it succeeded!!!!!!!

At this point I stopped trying to figure out what was going on and just
settled for a copy of the file.  The problem seems to be this - the
problem cd was dvd-rw disk initialized in VR mode.  I made test
recordings and was able to mount the disk and edit the files.  I then
made the recordings of my European trip and finalized the disk.  After
this I could no longer mount the disk and the camera could not
unfinalize it (dvd-rw disks do not need to be unfinalized)

At this point I realized that I had no wish to edit the recordings in
the camera, I preferred to do this with the computer.  It followed that
there was no need to record on rw disks in VR mode, recordings on dvd-r
disks in video mode are fine and, once finalized, my Debian system has
no problem mounting them and avidemux can read the files.

End of story.