Re: Debian-Multimedia

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 03:06:30PM +0100, Stuckey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have the debian-multimedia in my sources.list file, and so far
> I've just been commenting it in/out whenever I want to install
> something from it. I only want certain packages from it, the ones
> that I can't get from the regular repository. How can I configure
> aptitude so that it will only pull the packages that I tell it to
> from debiam-multimedia?
>
> I'm using Sid. Here's my sources.list file:
>
> #### unstable ########
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
>
> #deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
>
> #### dmm  #########
> #deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main

Guess I always wanted the upgrade if there was a package in multimedia.

Refer: man apt_preferences; Apt's Default Priority Assignments

Apt preferences docs interchange terms like they were dice in street craps,
or my head is a fish bowl, which may be a possibility.

Nevertheless, my read is that if you install one of Marillat's sid packages,
it will be 1.) a higher version of the 2.) same release from the 3.)
Multimedia distribution.

If you set your target release as described to unstable, unstable packages
from the debian distribution will receive a priority of 990.  That will not
allow an automatic upgrade to a different distribution (Multimedia) but it
also will not allow an automatic downgrade from a higher release.

Aptitude will try to satisfy dependencies to do what you ask.  Commenting
the multimedia source out might even lower the those packages priorities in
an unrelated resolution attempt by Aptitude.  I believe I've seen Aptitude
remove packages after I closed a source.

I think you should just set your target release to unstable and leave
Multimedia open.

If you have to pin a package with a target release set, you'll have to pin
it between 991-1000 to get the upgrade.

Package: < package_name >
Pin: version < n.n.n* >
Pin-Priority: 991

Then you will have to watch and edit for version changes.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman