Re: tcpdump?

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 04:55:11AM +0000, Hadi Motamedi wrote:

[snip]

> > Why not explain what you are trying to do, you main goal
> >

> Thank you for your reply . My mail goal is to find what is the exact command syntax and its arguments that the attached network element is sending to my Debian server on the specified port . I am seeing communication packets exchaned between the network element and my Debian (through opening the log on Wireshark) but I want to decode it and find the exact syntax of the command sent .

so wireshark and tcpdump, ethereal, tshark are all going to capture the
entire packet (make sure to use -s 1500 for ethernet).

if wireshark doesn't decode/translate the packet then you are going to
have to figure out the protocol spec yourself. it automatically looks
and decodes.  Wireshark will present you with all the information that
you need

"The best way to find these terrorists who hide in holes is to get people coming forth to describe the location of the hole, is to give clues and data."

	- George W. Bush
12/15/2003
Washington, DC