Re: Persuading an Atheros wireless card to function in Lenny

Hi Lisi

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 09:47AM +0000, Lisi wrote:
> I am trying to set up the wireless card in Lenny on an Acer Aspire One ZG5.
> Linpus has no problems, but the sooner I can wipe it off the hard drive the
> happier I shall be. :-(
>
> I have wicd 1.6.2.2 (bzr -r463) installed.  I have installed the Atheros 5
> driver module and now get the following results from lshw and modprobe -l:

I have an Atheros card on my laptop as well and am running it with
madwifi as the ath5k*-modules weren't able to do the job for me so
far. But madwifi-(modules|tools) (think that's in the non-free
repository) with (custom-built) kernel 2.6.26 and wicd 1.6.2.2 (from
the backports) works fine for me. I still have issues with the
connection being lost every now and then but I'm fairly confident
that's a problem caused by my router since everyone sharing this
wireless-access-point has the same problem.

My card is the following:

aku@herbx:~$ lspci | grep -i ath
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x
802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 04)

I'd suggest if you have that card (or something similar), go with
madwifi (although some people reported that they got same type of card
working with the ath5*-modules on newer (>=2.6.30) kernels without any
hassle.

Hope that helps...

Cheerio

Sebastian