Re: UDF: maximum file/directory limit?

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:30:42 +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:

> I've formatted an external 500GB HDD with UDF using mkudffs
> (--media-type=hd --blocksize=512), and this is now usable by both Linux
> and Windows.  While copying data to it, the copy aborted with a mkdir
> error (ENOSPC).  df showed that it had used about 20% of the data blocks
> and a tiny fraction (<1%) of the inodes. However, it had used just over
> 16000 inodes.

Wow, it seems there are more people out there using UDF as standard
filesystem than I could imagine :-)

> Does anyone know if there's a limit on directory entries? Google and
> other UDF spec docs aren't being helpful here.

***
http://www.isit.com/st/documents/document3497.htm

UDF Directory Limits

Directory Size - 264-1 bytes

Sub-directories per Directory - 216-1 sub-directories
Directory Name - 256 bytes

UDF File Limits
http://www.mdi.com/SoftwareAndHardware/udf.asp#UDF

Full specs: