Re: Undeletable files on UDF formatted HD

WD passport series hd: i have a tera one and my friend a small mypassport 320gb; either with this fucking udf thing that has to be a firmware thing, providing some backup and crypting stuff, not very useful, not useful at all in linux.
debian see it as a udf cd filesystem and optionally mount it accordingly, but i never come up to get rid of it. WD provides a tool on the hd support pages to erase it from windows and macos, but i haven't got any of them so... And procede carefully, googling a bit: i heard of some problems that this tool actually has

hope it helps

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 09:47, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 14:10:18 +0800, Jason Heeris wrote:

(...)

> Are there any tools to repair the filesystem? I couldn't find any UDF
> fsck, but maybe someone here knows of something?

Package "udftools" comes with "wrudf" which is decribes as:

***
wrudf - Maintains a UDF filesystem (undocumented)
***

> The data itself is safe
> somewhere else, but all the same I'd rather not wipe and re-format the
> entire drive, and if this is prone to happen it'd be good to know a
> better way to fix it. (Currently I'm using udftools 1.0.0b3-14 on linux
> 2.6.30-2-amd64.)

Not sure why you need a UDF filesystem :-?.

For testing purposes should be fine, but for storing "real" data I find
it a bit adventurous as udftools seems to be outdated. I'd better
reformat that hard disk with ext2/3 or any compatible filesystem (HFS+,
non journaled) to avoid any issue.

> Please CC me on any replies :)

Done!

Greetings,