Re: name -> address resolution

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 03:17:50PM -0700, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> This is another problem which appeared after an
> update of Squeeze on February 7 or 8.
>
> Joule is a router.  dnsmasq and resolvconf
> have worked for months with no problem.
> Now the machine doesn't recognize its local
> name.  Other names inside and outside the
> LAN are still resolved.  For example,
>   telnet://peter@172.23.5.1
> and
>   telnet://peter@joule.yi.org
> work but
>   telnet://peter@joule
> and
>   telnet://peter@joule.invalid
> fail.
>
> telnet://peter@172.23.5.1 gets these lines in the syslog.
> Feb 15 12:47:10 joule in.telnetd[2885]: connect from 172.23.5.2 (172.23.5.2)
> Feb 15 12:47:10 joule telnetd[2885]: doit: getaddrinfo: Name or service not known
>
> This is the last message to the console at startup.
> apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name,
> using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName
>
> Also I wonder whether a problem with qpopper
> derives from this name problem.
>
> Results are the same with kernels 2.6.30-2-686
> and 2.6.32-trunk-686.
>
> /etc/hosts has the name of the machine.
> Where is the domain name recorded?
> Why does this problem appear now?

I presume you are on joule and it has dnsmasq + resolvconf installed on
it.

can you
cat /etc/resolv.conf*

kill -SIGUSR1 $(pidof dnsmasq) ; tail -n 40 /var/log/syslog | grep
dnsmas | tail -n 4

and maybe cat dnsmasq.conf

--
"The United States and Russia are in the midst of transformationed relationship that will yield peace and progress."

	- George W. Bush
11/13/2001
Washington, DC