Re: IM server gateway

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 17:53,  <ml@mansfield.id.au> wrote:

> Hi,
> Is there any linux server software that I can install as a gateway for
> multiple IM networks for a few users?
> I would like the users to be able to communicate with other IM networks
> including XMPP, Facebook, MSN and ICQ without each user having to sign up
> with each service. The communication from the users to our server would
> ideally be an open protocol such as XMPP.

Well, there is no way to use those networks without creating
accounts at some point. However, you can avoid having to
sign in separately to each one. I presume you know about
multi-protocol clients, but there are even better ways to handle
it.

Many Jabber servers run XMPP-to-[MSN|Yahoo|AIM|etc] gateways.
As for Facebook, it now has native XMPP. You can just use a
server that has the gateways you need (or even use gateways
on a different server, in some cases).

If you really want to run your own server, ejabberd, Jabberd 1.x
and Jabberd 2.x are all in the Debian repos.  Among the others,
Tigase, Prosody, and Openfire are popular and the last two have
.debs

Aside from XMPP servers, you could use BitlBee, which proxies
other protocols into IRC  (you connect to the BitlBee server
with any IRC client).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers