Re: Read command field seperators in Bash

On Sunday 14 February 2010 17:38:48 Paul E Condon wrote:
> On 20100214_100441, John Salmon wrote:
> > Is there a way to change the field seperators in Bash's read command
> > (Debian Lenny)? I could use gawk to do what I need but, since gawk isn't
> > installed in the Lenny distribution, I'de rather use something that is.
> >
> >     John Salmon
> > salmonjj@comcast.net
>
> gawk may not be the default awk workalike in lenny, but it is
> certainly available in lenny, at least it was a couple of months ago,
> just before I switched to squeeze.

It is the Lenny default on my system.  I.e. it is installed, but I hadn't
asked for it.

lisi@Tux:~$ aptitude search awk
v   awk                                     -
p   cl-awk                                  - Common Lisp package with the
features of AWK and
p   dpkg-awk                                - Gawk script to
parse /var/lib/dpkg/{status,availa
i A gawk                                    - GNU awk, a pattern scanning and
processing langua
p   gawk-doc                                - Documentation for GNU awk
i   mawk                                    - a pattern scanning and text
processing language
p   nighthawk                               - An improved version of
Paradroid - a strategic sh
p   original-awk                            - The original awk described
in "The AWK Programmin
lisi@Tux:~$

Lisi