Re: Debian installation on laptop with damaged screen

Stephen Powell wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 04:46:41 -0500 (EST), Odd wrote:
Partially success. I booted the Debian Live CD, and could
see everything, until the text mode booting was over, and
Debian logo came up. Then it changed back to the laptop
screen, and remained there. Fn+F4 did not work anymore.

I assume there's an option for changing output under
preferences, but the damage makes it impossible to see.

I suppose there's a way to change the display output from
Bash. Anybody know how? My googling has come up short.

If you switch to text console 1 via Ctrl+Alt+F1, do you get
your display back on the external monitor?  (Possibly after
using Fn+F4 again.)  If so, the problem is probably specific
to the X server configuration.

Yes, switching to text console actually works ! Suddenly
it just popped up on the external monitor and the laptop
screen went dark. I would never have guessed.

With a live CD, there
probably isn't an X server configuration, per se, it's relying
on all default settings.  But there's hope that an actual
*install* of Debian will work.  Use the non-graphical
installer to get Debian installed, then see if you can get
X working by monkeying around with the X configuration.
Examining /var/log/Xorg.0.log may provide some clues.

I'll try an install and see what can be done.

Many Thanks !

--
Odd