Re: Where is Bash Prompt Set??

Apologies that this won't be properly threaded, but I just got my
subscription problems solved.

I am the OP on this thread, and have read the replies in the archive.
Looking at the bash manual I see that, for a login shell, /etc/profile
is sourced, and then ~/.bash_profile, whereas for an interactive
non-login shell, ~/.bashrc is sourced. That makes sense, so if one
wants the same prompt in both situations, just set it in .bashrc and
have .bash_profile source that.

BUT, it doesn't answer my other question: When root logs in, his
.bashrc *is* getting sourced! I thought perhaps root had a
.bash_profile set up to do so, but this is not the case. Root has no
profile. So can anyone explain the difference here?

Scott Swanson
--
Hain't we got all the fools in town on our side?  And hain't that a big
enough majority in any town?