Re: PAM LDAP queries attempt to bind with empty binddn

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 03:27:25PM -0500, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response.  I'll answer in the text below - John
>
> On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 06:42 +1100, Alex Samad wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:07:05AM -0500, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> > > Hello, all.  We have just started to explore Debian Lenny as a platform
> > > and have been delightfully impressed however we're hitting a problem
> > > using LDAP authentication that we have not experienced in RedHat or
> > > Ubuntu.  We do not allow anonymous LDAP queries but rather
> > > configure /etc/pam_ldap.conf with a binddn and bindpw.
> > >
> > > Our LDAP queries are failing and, when we look at the access logs on our
> > > CentOS Directory Server 8.1, we see the binddn is empty:
> > >
> > Hi
> >
> > on my debian system I have a couple of packages installed to handle ldap
> > userid db.
> >
> > pam handles one side of it but you need the nss stuff as well.  There
> > are 2 sets of packages, the one I use  (I like it better - works how I
> > like it to work and seems to be getting active maintenance).
> >
> > nslcd and with this you will need libnss-ldapd & libpam-ldapd they both
> > need config files in /etc
> libnss-ldap and libpam-ldap are installed.  I do not see a packaged
> named nslcd unless it's a typo for nscd which is installed as well.

no nslcd is not a typo, like I said there are 2 streams/groups of
packages for pam integration you have the !older! ones. have a look at
nslcd and its partner packages I have found them to more stable.

> > [snip]
> >

> > > pam_ldap.conf looks like this:
> > >

> > [snip]
> >
> > you need to look at the nss config file as well
> Do you mean nsswitch.conf? If so, we did address that - files ldap for
> passwd, group, and shadow.

nope this file /etc/nss-ldapd.conf used for the nss side of things which
is what getent uses and tools like nsswitch, glibc & whoami

> > > We could very likely have a missing package.  This is a vserver and they
> > > install a very skeleton base system.  For example, the system initially
> > > did not query at all until we realized we needed to install passwd.
> > > This is an X2Go print server (hopefully many desktops to come
> > > immediately after!) so we have installed:
> >
> > [snip]
> >

> > maybe you are missing stuff, like the nss ldap package.  getent passwd
> > should show you all your users work from there and then getent group
> getent passwd only shows local users
as per above

> > > did we do wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've lost days
> > > tracking this down with no answer.  Thanks - John
> Still eagerly looking for hints and suggestions.  Thanks - John

have a look at the nslcd package and the authors web page - why he
created this package (a fork of the original stuff)

--
"I recently met with the finance minister of the Palestinian Authority, was very impressed by his grasp of finances."

	- George W. Bush
05/29/2003
Washington, DC