Re: font substitution by acroread

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:13:42PM EST, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:58:39 -0500, Chris Jones wrote:

[..]

> The whole document uses "Times News Roman" :-)

A cursory glance via evince tells me that you are probably right about
that, but how can you be sure of it -- with all the font substitution
that goes on behind the scenes, I mean..?

> Sometimes, the original document ("Microsoft® Office Word 2007" as
> shown in the PDF properties) makes a reference to a typeface but is
> not used in any part of the document so when performing the conversion
> to PDF the font is still referenced but "not visible" at all.

That would make sense, if for instance you had a serif and a sans
default fonts defined, and only used serif -- which appears to be what's
happening with this particular document.

> I think this can be the case.
>
> > Portable Document Format indeed.. or does the 'P' still stand for
> > proprietory..? :-)
>
> It's a nice format, standard et al,

Well, it's officially an open standard since 2008, but then, the PDF
version of the document is 1.6 and that dates back to 2005 or
thereabout.

> but a good reader makes the PDF user experience better or worse, and
> Acrobat Reader is not the one that helps in that "better experience"
> task :-P

I suspect it's because it's meant to attract customers to buy their
non-free (as in beer) software.

> (IMO, Evince or Okular are far better than Acrobat)

Hm.. While I'm at it let me take a peek at Okular. That's going to be a
large install, since I don't have any KDE stuff on that system.

CJ