Re: font substitution by acroread

Klaus Jantzen wrote:
Steve Kleene wrote:
I often come across PDFs containing Arial font (as reported by pdffonts from
poppler-utils).  For example, this one:

  http://cdmrp.army.mil/funding/archive/10prmrpiira_pa.pdf

When I view these in acroread (8.1.7-0.1, lenny), I get some font that's
really horrible to read. The upper-case letters are about 4x taller than the
lower-case letters.

I don't have Arial on my Lenny system, so I assume that another font is being substituted. I don't know how this works. By checking file-access times, I found that a very large number of font files are touched when I open the PDF.
Files touched are, among other places, under

  /etc/fonts
  /usr/lib/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Font
  /usr/share/fonts
  /usr/share/texmf/fonts

Where did you find acroread?
I have been searching for it, but could not locate it.

I have this in my sources.list for adobe acroread.

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org squeeze main

Wayne