Re: Desktop install hangs -> File against what package?

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:10:32 -0500 (EST), Stephen Powell wrote:

> This sounds suspiciously like a "disk full" condition, which of course
> is not a bug.  I wish you had switched to an alternate console and
> issued a "df" command and looked at the output.  But it's too late
> now.

Here's something you can do when disk space is tight that will help.
When package files (.deb files) are downloaded from the internet, they
are copied to a package cache, or staging area
(/var/cache/apt/archives).
Once the package has been successfully installed, the package files
are not needed anymore.  However, they are not automatically erased.
They can be manually erased by issuing the command (as root)

   aptitude clean

This may free enough disk space for you to install the rest of what
you originally wanted.  After issuing "aptitude clean", issue the
tasksel command and install the stuff you didn't select originally.