Re: how to find bad blocks

Vadkan Jozsef wrote:
> We have a samsung hdd, that keeps falling out of raid, but there are no
> bad blocks on it, according to "badblocks" prog.
>
> we would like to return it [warranty], but it would be better to find
> e.g. bad blocks on it..:\ :D

As others wrote, use the smartctl program from smartmontools. I had some
"strange" problems with a samsung drive, I bought recently. I just run
'long' smartctl tests on the drive and it would fail them. I sent the
drive back with the output of 'smartctl -a /dev/whatever' and got a
replacement from the shop.

HTH,

Johannes

<===================>
SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       90%       265
     1651557882
# 2  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       90%       221
     1651557882
# 3  Short offline       Completed: read failure       20%       171
     1651557882
# 4  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       90%       171
     1651557882
# 5  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       90%       168
     1651557882
# 6  Short offline       Completed without error       00%       165
     -
# 7  Short offline       Aborted by host               10%       165
     -
# 8  Short offline       Completed without error       00%       161
     -
# 9  Short offline       Aborted by host               90%       161
     -
#10  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       40%       150
     1651555500
#11  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       50%       141
     1170387107
#12  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       50%       130
     1170387107
#13  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%       108
     -
#14  Extended offline    Interrupted (host reset)      40%        96
     -
#15  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       40%        83
     1651556392
#16  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       50%        57
     1334488458
#17  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       50%        52
     1334488458

- --
Johannes

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the
humble reasoning of a single individual.
- - Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)