Re: Search engine for documentation indexing?

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 14:05:26 -0600
Michael Iatrou <m.iatrou@freemail.gr> wrote:

> When the date was Tuesday 09 of February 2010, Wayne <linuxtwo@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> > > I'd like to build an index of the documentation in /usr/share/doc, [...]
> > > I can't be the only one looking for this, so what do other debianists
> > > do?
> >
> > I use recoll and dwww but rely on recoll more and more.
>
> One more vote for recoll. Supports custom filters and you can index most
> common documentation formats.

I also use recoll, and am quite happy with it, but in response to
the OP's mail, I checked all over to verify that it can index gzipped
archives, and I could find no mention of any gzip support, neither in
the docs, nor on the website, nor anywhere else on the net.  Zip is
mentioned, but not gzip, which certainly sounds odd for a *nix project.

Celejar