Re: unix2dos/dos2unix no longer included in tofrodos 1.7.8.debian.1-2

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 11:33:05 -0800, Jeppe Øland wrote:

>> Maybe were removed because upstream package has also "renamed" those
>> packages:
>>
>> dos2unix -> fromdos
>> unix2dos -> todos
>>
>> So, it looks like a simple "renaming". Are you lacking any features?
>> :-?
>
> I'm not sure I understand you.
>
> The "tofrodos" package implements the conversion utilities, and until
> the latest version installed symlinks for commonly used names for these
> functions.
> In the latest version, the symlinks were removed, and now everybody has
> to manually make symlinks or aliases - which is not convenient.

Yes, that is what you can read from the docs.

> The release notes for the latest version reads:
>
>> tofrodos (1.7.8.debian.1-2) unstable; urgency=low
>>  * Change maintainer name
>>  * Drop dos2unix and unix2dos symlinks, to allow introduction of
>>  original
>>    dos2unix package. (remove dh_link call and add NEWS about that)
>
> This very much implies that a new package (with similar/identical
> functionality but different name) will be introduced.
>
> What I'm missing is that package.

You only have to follow the steps provided for making the symlink to the
new binaries:

***
tofrodos (1.7.8.debian.1-2) unstable; urgency=low

With this release the symlinks "unix2dos" and "dos2unix" are dropped from
the package.  This will allow the introduction of the original dos2unix
package, which also supports conversion to MacOS style files.

Should you have scripts depending on these symlinks, I recommend using
shell-aliases, like in the following example for bash:

alias unix2dos="/usr/bin/fromdos -u"  (or todos)
alias dos2unix="/usr/bin/fromdos -d"  (or just fromdos)

Alexander Reichle-Schmehl <xxx@debian.org>  Thu, 21 Jan 2010 20:59:11
+0100
***

Greetings,