Re: font substitution by acroread

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 08:02:42 -0500, Steve Kleene wrote:

(...)

> I can imagine two solutions but don't know how to execute either one.
> First, I could arrange to have a sane font (e.g. Helvetica) substituted
> instead of whatever one I'm getting now.

I managed that by creating ~/.fonts.conf file with the following content.

***
<fontconfig>
<alias binding="same">
<family>Helvetica</family>
<prefer>
<family>Arial</family>
</prefer>
</alias>
</fontconfig>
***

That replaces Helvetica with Arial), at least for my user. Not sure if
that also works for PDF files, though, I've only tested with Iceweasel :-)

> Second, I could perhaps make
> Arial available on Lenny.  I have already installed ttf-liberation,
> which has "Free fonts with the same metrics as Times, Arial and
> Courier".  I have an XP virtual machine with files such as
> c:\windows\fonts\arial.ttf.  I'm not sure how to add and register the
> TTF files on Lenny, and I'm not sure if that would solve the acroread
> problem.  I'd appreciate any suggestions.

I highly recommnend you to install some basic TTF set of fonts (Arial,
Tahoma, Verdana, Times News Roman, Courier-New) because not only websites
are using them a lot but as you already discovered, many PDF documents
(and other office files) do not embedded the fonts and rely on user's
system  for make the "best effort" in replacement and the result can be a
true disaster :-P

So, I for my self, installed (copy&paste) all the *.ttf fonts from a
windows system and placed under "/usr/local/share/fonts" in order they
don't become messed up with the rest of the system fonts.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón