Re: Use RAID1 mirror as backup during dist-upgrade?

also sprach Reiner Buehl <reiner@buehl.net> [2010.01.06.0227 +1300]:
> Does anybody have a more detailed description on how to do this?

If you come across one, please submit it as a bug report against the
mdadm package.

> I know I can fail a drive with mdadm, but my understanding is that
> the data on this this drive can't then be used again after that.

You just can't write to both copies, but you can use this method to
create clones.

> Is that correct or can the bad upgrade disk be failed and then the
> old disk un-failed? How would I tell the system which disk to use?
> What preparation steps are necessary other than making both/all
> mirrors bootable?

Use grub-pc.

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o>      Related projects:
: :'  :  proud Debian developer               http://debiansystem.info

"the college students who are using lsd and marijuana today do not
 comprise a criminal class. they are not drug addicts seeking to
 escape. they're your best educated, your most creative, and your
 most couragious, young people. and like it or not, they might build
 you a new civilisation."               -- porcupine tree, voyage 34