Re: local install with apt-get still producing caches in /var/lib/dpkg/{info,alternatives,info, ...}

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 1:05 AM, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat,06.Feb.10, 22:37:13, Albretch Mueller wrote:

>> > Only dpkg installs packages. APT "just" takes care of resolving
>> > dependencies and downloading the apropiate .deb files which are then
>> > passed to dpkg.
>> ~
>>  I see but I can't find out how to change that directory, which is
>> what I need ;-)
>> ~
>
> What exactly are you trying to achieve? Maybe there is a better way.
~
 Well, as I said, I need to reset the default "/var/lib/dpkg"
directory to be used by apt-get/dpkg and the reason why I need to do
so is because if you are using a liveCD then that directory will
actually be:
~
 "<ramdisk>/var/lib/dpkg"
~
 which eats on your system's resources badly. Also dpkg uses those
folders as kind of caches (as if you were downloading files off a
network/the Internet), but if you have those files on your local file
system then that strategy doesn't make much sense
~
 There should be a way to somehow change that directory, without
poking into the source files
~
 Thanks
 lbrtchx