Re: raid on mixed ide/sata drives (/dev/hda /dev/sda) not assembled at boot with initramfs

On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 07:59:05PM +0100, Dr. KER?KGY?RT? Istv?n wrote:
> [sorry if I post multiple times, but my message did not seem to get across,
> and moderation isn't supposed to last half a day]
>
> Dear All,
>
> I have a system with a raid1 array. I installed it first with a
> degraded raid array, one part of the array being /dev/hda2. After
> installation I added (mdadm --manage /dev/md2 --add /dev/sda2) the
> second drive, which went nicely, the array was assembled. This already
> shows that the array is made up of an IDE and a SATA drive (which
> might be unwise in general, I don't know, but I have these too drives
> at hand currently).
>
> However, when I reboot, only one of the members of the array are
> detected. Depending on which drive I boot from (both are bootable with
> identical /boot partitions), either /dev/sda2 or /dev/hda2 is attached
> to the array (but not the other one). Looking at dmesg suggests that
> first the drive from which the system is booted is detected, then the
> md array is assembled, and the other drive is only detected
> afterwards.
>
> Is there a way to tell the initramfs in which order to detect the
> drives it needs (so that both sda and hda would be detected, with the
> appropriate modules loaded, and only after that would the raid array
> be assembled)?

strange, trying changing your kernel options to

init=/bin/bash

this will give you a command prompt when the initrd is loaded, but
before anything is done.  check to see what can be seen by the system,
can it see hda + sda ?

--
"The goals for this country are peace in the world. And the goals for this country are a compassionate American for every single citizen. That compassion is found in the hearts and souls of the American citizens."

	- George W. Bush
12/19/2002
Washington, DC