Re: one website gives "address not found" from LAN

Ken Teague on 05/02/10 23:42, wrote:
On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 4:27 AM, Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
and finally my resolv.conf (rewritten by dhcp.client when picking up IP
address from the DSL modem):

adam@isengard:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
domain localdomain
search localdomain
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 194.74.65.68

Your resolv.conf is pointing to 127.0.0.1 for your primary nameserver.
 Are you running DNS services on your local host?

adam@isengard:~$ host www.trade2win.com
Host www.trade2win.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Here, you're querying your primary nameserver for the IP address of
www.trade2win.com.  It's failing to resolve it.

And then with another nameserver:

adam@isengard:~$ host www.trade2win.com 4.2.2.1
Using domain server:
Name: 4.2.2.1
Address: 4.2.2.1#53
Aliases:

www.trade2win.com is an alias for panna-229.trade2win.com.
panna-229.trade2win.com has address 208.43.120.229
Host panna-229.trade2win.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
Host panna-229.trade2win.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Now you're telling host to ask 4.2.2.1 to resolve www.trade2win.com
and it succeeds.

I'd recommend you check your local host to see if it's running DNS
services.  If it is, you'd need to find out why it's failing to
resolve this host.

It is running dnsmasq. It's a gateway and firewall with two NICs, one for the net and one for the LAN.

I don't know why the first lookup is failing with the default nameserver from my ISP - but it only fails intermittently.

I have a small hunch that it might be to do with my setup because the external NIC gets its ip address via DHCP from the ISP and refreshes every 30 seconds or so. I just don't know what to check for next. There is no other website I have this problem with.