Re: grub2 + serial redirect

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Lev Lvovsky <lists2@sonous.com> wrote:
> Hello,
[snip.

> This works fine once the kernel is booted (it redirects output to my serial port).  I am not able to see the boot menu with this new configuration however - it appears on the "video" portion of the screen, and I'm able to select a kernel that way, but the serial ouput gets nothing.  With Grub v.1 on other machines with serial redirect, I've been able to get the menu.  Is there some option that I'm missing?

I was working on this a few weeks ago and AFAICK I needed the
following in grub.cfg to serial the grub menu over serial:

terminal_input serial
terminal_output serial

> Additionally, IIRC, the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX option above is conditional, meaning that if I want video vs. serial redirection while booting, I need to swap the two 'console' directives.  Given that there's only one way I can specify the linux command line option, how would I go about doing this?

According to the following bug report (which is also where I saw an
example using the two above lines in grub.cfg), concurrent output is
coming:

http://old.nabble.com/-bug--28628--Concurrent-console-and-serial-access-td27186757.html