Re: Google Earth kills system

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 12:33:19AM -0600, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 18:28:10 -0600
> JW Foster <jfoster81747@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > I built Google Earth as instructed in the installer. It starts OK then
> > as soon as the browser pops open both the mouse & my keyboard freeze
> > up & I have to reboot. It seems to open the browser & a popup with
> > tips. I,m able to kill the tips,if I leave the curser in the browser
> > screen, but in seconds the mouse dies & keyboard freezes up. Both are
> > completely unresponsive. Any tips?
> > Thanks
> > John
> >
> Do you have a 3d accelerated graphics card and, if so, is it enabled?
> Googleearth needs the heavy-duty graphics capabilities.

Before I got fglrx configured for 3D support, GoogleEarth just popped up a
warning that it would run slowly and haltingly, complete with instructions,
and it did.  It didn't crash.

Once fglrx was installed correctly, it ran great.

Then support for my Radeon Mobility FireGL 9000 was dropped and the 2.6.30
kernel came along. fglrx upgrades eventually stopped working in the 2.6.26
kernel and I changed to Firmware-Linux and moved to the 2.6.30 and the new
xserver-xorg.

That seemed fine and, strangely, to improve over time. It went from
flickering but not quite halting to running very smoothly in the course of
about 4 sessions.  A few days later GoogleEarth and xscreensaver started
seg-faulting severely.  They took out big sections of my file system on
*two* computers.

I've never had crashes like that in 7 years of Debian. I've got one drive
completely down and unbootable.

I haven't found much evidence of what happened. None of the upgraded
packages in that period seem X related.  I've just been living in CLI land
until I get time to repair and investigate more.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman