Re: Bash question: get output as a variable?

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 17:42:45 -0500 (EST), Javier Barroso wrote:
> In this case output goes to stderr, so:
>
> tar -zcvf - * --exclude-from $EXCLUDES 2> /tmp/data$$ | openssl ...

Is that something you just have to find out by trial and error?
I checked the man page for tar, and there's nothing in there about
the -v output being written to stderr.  I'll take your word for it,
but in the general case, it's hard to tell.  Since stdout and
stderr both default to the terminal, and since the doc doesn't
say, how else would you know other than by trial and error?