Re: Bash question: get output as a variable?

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 12:09:28AM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I'm scripting a backup solution, the line that does the business looks
> like this:
>
> tar -zcvf - *  --exclude-from $EXCLUDES  | openssl des3 -salt -k $1 |
> dd of=$(hostname)-$(date +%Y%m%d).tbz
>
> Because of the "v" flag tar writes to stdout the name of each file
> copied. How can I get that output redirected to a variable, to use
> later in the script?

not sure you can, as you are pushing the tar output via stdout as well.
maybe use a fifo to communicate between tar and openssl

Alex

--
Winter is the season in which people try to keep the house as warm as
it was in the summer, when they complained about the heat.