Re: Grandma uses Logitech Vid, how to chat with her with Debian?

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 03:42:55 +0800
jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

> Sirs, Grandma says: "I have a 2-way camera installation on my computer,
> It's called Logitech Video. (It only cost $28.00 on sale, and John
> installed it for me) The software was down-loaded free."
>
> Apparently the software she installed was Logitech® Vid™.
>
> Alas, on
> http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/584/6164%26cl=us,en?section=downloads&WT.ac=os|5788||vidDL
> there is no Linux version of Logitech® Vid™.
>
> I have a EEEPC 702 (with its UVC webcam that works fine with luvcview).
> What Debian package can I install in order to be able to video chat with
> my super-old grandma?

Assuming that her camera is working (on a Windows system?), you can
probably use any video chat program that is cross-platform and has a
Windows version available, or even better, any program that uses open
standards for which there's a Win implementation.

E.g., Ekiga uses SIP, so if she installs a SIP client, you should be
good to go.

Of course, the above is theory.  In practice, you may run into bumps
along the way.  Video chat is not the maturest of areas in terms of
compatibility and plug-and-play.

Celejar