Re: concurrent installs of previous + current kernels

Hi Stephen,

On Feb 1, 2010, at 2:00 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:

> One must be careful, though.  As an example, consider the following
> Debian package file names:
>
>   linux-image-2.6.26-2-686_2.6.26-19_i386.deb
>   linux-image-2.6.26-2-686_2.6.26-19lenny2_i386.deb
>
> These package files have different file names, but they are different revisions
> of the same package.  When installed, they will both have the package name
>
>   linux-image-2.6.26-2-686
>
> And the boot images, initial RAM disk images, and library modules will have
> the same names in the same directories.  The only way I know to install
> two different revisions of the same stock kernel package name on the same machine
> at the same time is to have two different boot partitions.
> If you're building custom kernels you can get around this problem by using
> something like the --append-to-version flag of make-kpkg.  But when using
> stock kernel images this is not an option.

I think this is the problem that I'd be running into.

In Red Hat, you get a list of kernel package names which have the distro release version in the name of the package so that you can have multiple packages of the "same" kernel installed at the same time.  I'd be shocked if it were so hard to do on Debian, but I can't for the life of me figure it out...

-lev