Re: Re: Re: console resolution

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 09:17:51PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sun,24.Jan.10, 14:22:22, Nima Azarbayjany wrote:
> > I was able to achieve the desired resolution of 1280x800 (equivalent
> > to, I think, 0x361) by manually editing grub.cfg but the grub menu
> > does not show correctly.  It only fills the left top quarter of the
> > screen and parts of it cannot be seen.  The rest was fine (the boot
> > up of linux I mean) with a good resolution.  I will try setting the
> > resolutions separately, i.e., not using gfxpayload=keep.

Are you running update-grub2 after editing the files? See below for the
files I changed.

> As far as I can tell this is due to the background image being too small
> and the text is now black on black. Try using a bigger picture ;)

I struck that also using grub2-splashimages. The fix is to edit
/etc/grub.d/00_header:

case ${platform}:${GRUB_TERMINAL} in
  pc:gfxterm)
    # Make the font accessible
    prepare_grub_to_access_device `${grub_probe} --target=device
${GRUB_FONT_PATH}`
    cat << EOF
if font `make_system_path_relative_to_its_root ${GRUB_FONT_PATH}` ; then
  set gfxmode=640x480
  insmod gfxterm
  insmod vbe
  terminal gfxterm
fi

See where "set gfxmode=640x480", that allows the menu to be 640x480
(which the grub2-splashimages mentions in
/usr/share/doc/grub2-splashimages/README) while setting:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=vga=791

in /etc/default/grub allows the kernel to boot in the higher res.

This is on Lenny and everything is working fine.
Looks like a bug in /usr/share/doc/grub2-splashimages/README where it
says to run update-grub, that should be update-grub2.

--
Chris.