Re: No GNOME system sounds in Squeeze

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 12:21:18 -0500 (EST), Stephen Powell wrote:
> I've finally gotten around to trying to enable system sounds in
> GNOME under Squeeze, and I can't seem to get it to work.

I kept searching the Internet and I eventually found this item:

I didn't like what I read, but at least it's an explanation
(and a partial solution).

I've de-installed gnome-audio and installed freedesktop-sound-theme
and gnome-session-canberra.  I now have at least "alert" sounds
working.  Startup and shutdown sounds still don't work.  The ESD
still isn't running either.  And I don't have pulseaudio installed.
I wonder if GNOME now directs system sounds directly to
ALSA.  And I wonder if ALSA finally enables software sound mixing
(again) by default on audio chipsets that don't support hardware sound
mixing.  Wouldn't that be nice!

If anyone has any insights on this, please let me know.  Otherwise,
I'll assume that it's just broken and I'll wait for them to fix it.