something dpkg-related hogs my resources

Dear all
Something dpkg-related hogs my system's resources. It is disturbing
since it starts by itself, takes many minutes (+/- 1h) and ends by
itself. I could also not identify one obvious process responsible for
it. WHen this happens, CPU indicator shows about 50% usage of the two
cores, while I can spot many `sh' processes (with one of them taking a
good chunk of CPU), an `md5sum' process starting and ending
sporadically and a `dpkg-query' one exhibiting similar behaviour.

Could someone suggest how to track down what triggers this and turn it
off? Thank you
Liviu

liviu@debian-liv:~$ uname -a
Linux debian-liv 2.6.30-2-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Dec 7 05:21:45 UTC 2009
x86_64 GNU/Linux

--
Do you know how to read?
http://www.alienetworks.com/srtest.cfm