Re: serious problem upgrading sox

Bernard wrote:
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

You'll have to get libsox0 installed before Lenny's sox will work.
I have just done this. The install went OK, so did the re-install of Lenny's sox. But, when trying to call 'sox -h' (or any call to sox), I get this :

bd@new-host:~$ sox -h
sox: error while loading shared libraries: libsox.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
bd@new-host:~$

libsox.so.1 does not exist on my system, as
I was mistaking in writing that. True: apt-cache search did not show any libsox.so.1 file, but I found one using 'find' :

/usr/local/lib/libsox.so.1 is there. Still any call to 'sox' sends this same reply :

sox: error while loading shared libraries: libsox.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I just made another discovery. The 'man' file for sox that I presently have on my system, is the one that belongs to sox v14.3, not the manfile belonging to v14.0.1, where there was no mention of any -b option. This knowledge reminds me that, prior to making an attempt to install from 'testing' repositories, I had tried to install from a source file that I had downloaded from sox.sourceforge.net. At first sight, all had seemed to go allright, there was no error in 'make', nor in 'make install', and some sox functions seemed to work, other did not. This is when I decided to try the Debian way with testing ; I thought that the new install would go over the old one. This mismanagement may be part of the problem I now have.

But then, how shall I manually remove as much as possible of what remains of that sox installed from source, as well as what remains of the v14.3 installed from 'testing' ?