Re: shutdown after kernel upgrade

Dear John, you was right.
After investigating I found that the ACPI subsystem isn't measuring CPU temperature. The command 'cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/TZ01/temperature' returns zero celsius degrees when the new kernel is loaded, so the fan never runs. This is why the symptom doesn't happen on the old desktop machine, which don't have fan control. By while, I removed the new kernel and I'm using the old kernel, which reads the real temperature and controls the fan correctly, and I will wait for a new kernel update to see if the bug was fixed.

Regards,

2010/1/28 John <JohnRChamplin@columbus.rr.com>
On 28/01/10, ?????????????? ???????????? (gpall@ccf.auth.gr) wrote:
| > Same here with both Debian and vanilla versions of all 2.6.32 kernels,
| > home-compiled, running sid on an old IBM Thinkpad A31, with cpufreqd
| > and cpufrequtils. On my machine, the shutdown is caused by runaway
| > overheating after only a few minutes, so there's not much time for
| > diagnosing.  2.6.31.6 with same basic .config runs fine.
| >

| how did you understand it was due to heating??

cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan && cat /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal

--
JohnRChamplin@columbus.rr.com
GPG key 1024D/99421A63 2005-01-05

--
Marcio H. Parreiras

GNU/Linux Professional

Tel.: (31)9632-0320

Pedro Leopoldo - MG - Brasil

*** As melhores soluções em Informática ***

 - Monitoramento e filtragem de Internet -

 - Servidores e Estações de Trabalho -

 - Controladores de Rede -

 - Sistemas Virtuais -

"A caixa dizia: Requer MS Windows ou superior, então eu instalei Debian/GNU Linux!"
http://www.debian.org/index.pt.html

"The box said: Requires MS Windows or better, then I installed Debian/GNU Linux!"
http://www.debian.org/index.en.html

Codificação de caracteres / Character encoding: Unicode (UTF-8)
.