Re: Grub on XFS root filesystem

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 19:40:09 -0800, Account for Debian group mail wrote:

> On one of my machines that I'm trying to upgrade to Lenny has a XFS
> root-boot file system.
>
> The upgrade docs state that I need to switch from lilo to grub for a
> Lenny upgrade. But I cannot get grub to install on this XFS boot file
> system, it just hangs up.
>
> Anyone know how to get this done?

There was a bug (although it seems closed/fixed right now) about this:

***
Freeze when installing GRUB on XFS boot partition
***

OTOH, I've heard that GRUB and XFS are (or were) having some "gitches"
when used together. Not sure if nowadays the problems are fully corrected
but in fact some distributions (openSUSE is one than I'm aware of)
explicitly do not support having GRUB installed in filesystems other than
ext2/ext3. It can be installed but it is not recommended.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón