Re: webcam in skype ok but not in gimp

Adam Hardy wrote:
godo on 28/01/10 13:14, wrote:
Adam Hardy wrote:
I got myself a webcam to skype, and plugged it in the usb port and it works fine with skype, but i want to grab an image from it in gimp or with w3cam or vidcat and it doesn't work.

in gimp, i don't even think i'm in the right menu but i can't find any other menu option than "file / acquire / xsane / device dialog" which gives me the error "failed to open device v4l:/dev/video0: invalid argument"

I can understand that since gimp is probably looking for a scanner but I see other documentation on the net showing gimp with a dialog box showing a mix of scanners and webcams.

In skype, the config shows the webcam under devices as "UVC camera (046d:09a4) (/dev/video0)" so I'm at a loss now.

I tried v4l-conf but that just seems to be for settings on the camera itself, not the OS config.

did you try Cheese? I my opinion it is very good app. You can record movie with sound or take a photo from your web camera.

It would be quite amusing to set the Warp effect while skyping with people.

Yes, so OK, cheese is good - but I can't see how it's configured - presumably though it's not using v4l. I would of course (being anal) like to sort out the issue with gimp though.

Adam

there's nothing wrong with anal,

but besides that, which kernel are you running and which driver? spca5 or gspca??

believe there could be some issue with the driver with the 2.26 kernel, either a driver or kernel ugrade could do the trick i suppose